How do I turn off my water in an emergency?

Typically, when a house is built, a shut off valve is installed at the closest hose bib to the water meter. If you cannot locate the shut off valve, or it does not turn off, please call the Utility Division. Between 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. you may call 407-971-5692, after 3:30 p.m., nights and weekends call 407-971-5675.

Show All Answers

1. How do I report a water leak or line break?
2. How do I turn off my water in an emergency?
3. How do I establish new or terminate existing water service with the City of Oviedo?
4. Who would I contact if I feel that my water bill is too high?
5. Who would I contact regarding low water pressure or water quality concerns?
6. What is a sewer lift station, and what should I do if the red light is flashing or the siren is going off?
7. Who do I contact if a manhole is overflowing?
8. How do I find out if reclaimed water is available in my neighborhood?
9. I currently irrigate my lawn with potable water. What do I need to do to switch my irrigation to reclaimed water if it is available in my neighborhood?
10. What is a backflow preventer?
11. Why does my backflow preventer have to be tested every year?
12. Where can I get more information about Cross Connection Control?
13. I have just emptied my pool and need to refill it. Does the City offer any waivers for fees related to refilling my pool?