Oviedo in the News
November 23, 2022
We want to wish you all a very happy thanksgiving!
THANKSGIVING OFFICE CLOSURE
WASTE PRO HOLIDAY SCHEDULE
Waste Pro will be closed on Thanksgiving Day for employees. If your normal pick-up date is Thursday, solid waste will be picked up on Friday. Yard Waste will continue to be picked up on Friday.
City of Oviedo STORM RECOVERY
The City of Oviedo contractors will be back out starting November 28 to do a third and final sweep of the city to collect debris. If you have any debris from Ian and/or Nicole, please leave at the curb. Debris that is bagged or in cans will be picked up by Waste Pro on normal collection days.
Please remember, all storm debris should not be in bags.
Any other type of materials such as construction, appliances, or household debris will be picked up at a later date.
For more information about tree trimming, collection and how to separate debris, please head to:
Visit CityofOviedo.net/storm for more information.
For all City residents who obtained sandbags prior to the storm, you may drop off sandbags at the Evans Street Public Works yard (1725 Evans Street). Look for the blue sign and pallet. Please try to stack your bags neatly on the pallet, if possible.
GENEVA DRIVE CLOSURE
RECREATION AND PARKS
Boston Hill Park Basketball Courts will be closed starting November 23 for reconstruction. At this time, a re-opening date has not been scheduled.
Closed until further notice:
Thank you for your cooperation and patience!
AQUATIC FACILITY TEMPORARY CLOSURE
Starting November 4, the Aquatics Facility closed and will remain closed for approximately 6 to 8 weeks for the Pool Liner Replacement. Once refurbished, the pool will last for the next 12 to 15 years. We appreciate your patience and hope to be open quickly.
Registration Began November 7 and continues until January 11 - Games begin February 4
Registration opened November 7 and continues until January 10 - Games begin February 4
Registration opened November 7 and continues until January 4 (or until full) - Games begin January 30
We here at the police department are very thankful for the community that we serve and protect. We want you to be safe if you're planning on heading out for your Black Friday sales and holiday shopping.
- Keep your purse close to your body or your wallet inside a coat pocket or front pants pocket.
- Don't argue or fight over an item.
- Keep cash hidden in your wallet.
- Make sure to hide shopping bags in your trunk. If you do not have a trunk, cover the items.
- If you're shopping online, shop on secure sites only.
- Don't click any links emailed to you!
- Change up your passwords.
OVIEDO FIRE RESCUE
The holidays are just around the corner and sometimes we find ourselves in a rush to get things done. We want to provide some safety tips that can help you and your family stay safe.
Thanksgiving Cooking Safety
- Keep flammable items away from the stove - oven mitts, towels, etc...
- Keep children out of a busy kitchen - sharp objects like knives could pose a danger to little hands.
- Turn the handles of pots and pans towards the back of the oven to avoid spillage accidents.
- Be sure to cook at the proper temperatures.
- If you experience a grease fire, NEVER put water on the grease. Use a fire extinguisher or suffocate the fire using a properly fitting lid. Protect hands and arms. Evacuate the home and call 9-1-1.
- Have a fire extinguisher handy for any emergencies.
- Know how to use the fire extinguisher and have a plan.
If you are Deep Frying a turkey, use proper precautions set by the cooker's manufacturer.
- Never overfill with oil and keep the temperature steady.
- Make sure your Thanksgiving turkey is completely thawed and dry. Extra water will cause the oil to bubble furiously and spill
- SLOWLY lower the turkey in, using the tools provided by the cooker's manufacturer.
- Keep the cooker outside and a good distance from the house.
- Do not let children play near or around the cooker the turkey is frying.
Check out the New Oviedo Fire Rescue Facebook Page!
Like and follow for all the latest information about your favorite Fire Department!
We are excited to visit neighborhoods in Oviedo with Mr. Claus leading the way! Only this time, Rudolph will be the Fire Truck and his red nose will be our flashing lights! Here is the schedule for the week of December 12 - 16. The Santa App will go live on the website before the Tour starts so you can follow his route!
The City of Oveido Reminds you that during hot weather our local ponds can suffer overloads of nutrients and trash.
Upcoming Oviedo City Council Meetings
400 Alexandria Blvd.
Oviedo, FL 32765
The Regular Council meeting for November 21 and Work Session for November 28 has been canceled due to the Thanksgiving holiday. The December public meetings are listed below.
VETERANS MEMORIAL TRIBUTE
The Veterans Memorial Tribute on November 16 was a great success with many residents paying their respects at the event. Several City Councilmembers and the Mayor attended, along with city staff members to honor those who have served our country and live in the City of Oviedo. Their names will be added to the wall. If you haven't visited the Veterans Memorial site at Center Lake Park, we encourage you to see it and reflect on the service of our soldiers.
Join the Oviedo Police Department in the 9 p.m. routine
Join the conversation with #HeyOviedo and #9pmRoutine or share our posts on FB and help spread the word.