Oviedo in the News
March 22, 2019
Oviedo American Legion Post 243 Honored by the Seminole County Board of County Commissioners
At its March 12, 2019, Commission Meeting, the Seminole County Board of Commissioners proclaimed March 15th as American Legion Centennial Day in Seminole County, Florida.
The American Legion was chartered by Congress in 1919, as a wartime veterans organization based on the four pillars of Veterans Affairs: Rehabilitation; National Security; Americanism; and Children & Youth. Over the years, the American Legion has become a preeminent community-service organization with more than 2.5 million members in over 14,000 American Legion Posts worldwide. The American Legion offers a variety of programs that support the four pillars, and benefit veterans; service members and their families; America’s youth; and citizens in general. Members of the American Legion are dedicated to upholding the ideals of freedom and democracy, while working to make a difference in the lives of fellow Americans. The American Legion celebrated its centennial in 2019 on March 15th, the official designated birthday of the American Legion.
Summer Camp Registration
Summer Camp registration is underway. Registration will continue until the Thursday before each session or until each session is full. Camps offered are Adventure Camp, Club Riverside, and Volleyball Camp. For more information, call 407-971-5565 (Gymnasium) or 407-971-5575 (Riverside).
New: Basketball Camp will be hosted at the Oviedo Gymnasium and Aquatic Facility by our community partner, Community Home Basketball. Visit CHB's website to register http://ow.ly/y98D30nSmhL or call 347-387-4823.
Bear sightings are common in Seminole County, and all Oviedo residents should be prepared!
AVOID ATTRACTING BEARS!
- Garbage, pet foods, barbecue grills, and anything that smells like food attracts bears.
- Don't leave your garbage can outside. Store trash and recyclables in bear-resistant containers or in a secure area until morning of pickup.
- Feed pets inside or bring in bowls after your pets are finished eating.
- Remove bird and wildlife feeders. Store pet or livestock feed indoors or in bear-resistant containers.
- Protect your garden, compost pile, or livestock with electric fencing.
- Clean meat smokers and grills with bleach or a degreasing agent.
- If bears are rewarded with food (garbage, pet food, etc.) at your house, they will come back.
IF YOU SEE A BEAR
- Remain calm, DO NOT run or play dead. Back away slowly and speak in a calm, assertive voice.
- Make sure that you are in a safe area and that the bear has an escape route, then make some noise to scare the bear away.
- Secure the attractants that are bringing the bear to your neighborhood.
Report a Bear Sighting to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
SENIOR ACTIVITIES (50+)
The Recreation and Parks Department and Northland Oviedo have joined together to offer Friday Afternoon Game Time. Every Friday, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., seniors are welcome to come hangout and socialize at the Northland Oviedo office, 1205 City View Center, Suite #1005, Oviedo, FL 32765. Dates are subject to change at any given time.
Lunch N Learn - Thursday, March 28th at the Lawton House. The Oviedo Historical Society will present information to seniors (ages 50+) on Oviedo's history. Lunch will be provided. Pre-registration and payment are due one week prior to class date. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
Note: These activities will be on hold from May 27th through August 6th in order to accommodate summer camp programs.
For more information on Senior Activities, email Jesse or call 407-971-5579.
GYM & ATHLETICS
- Indoor Cycling (ages 16 and up) - Tuesday and Thursday evenings (6-7 p.m.). Daily rates apply. The first trial class is free! Packages of 20 visits or an unlimited annual option are available for purchase. Call 407-971-5565 for more information.
- Pickle Ball (all ages) - This paddle sport combines the features of tennis and table tennis and is played indoors at the Gymansium and Aquatic Facility on Wednesday and Friday mornings from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Call 407-971-5565 for more information.
- Rock Climbing Leage (ages 6 to 14) - Registration is underway through March 29th or until full. The season begins April 11th. Call 407-971-5565 for more information.
- Start Smart Flag Football (ages 3 to 5) - Registration is underway through April 19th or until full. Classes begin May 7th. Call 407-971-5565 for more information.
- Youth Basketball (ages 5-17) - Registration for summer Youth Basketball is underway through April 20th or until full. The season begins June 1st. Call 407-971-5565 for more information.
- Youth Volleyball (ages 8-17) - Registration for summer Youth Volleyball is underway through April 20th or until full. The season begins June 3rd. Call 407-971-5565 for more information.
- SNAP Club - Wednesday, March 27th at Riverside Park from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. This program is designed specifically for those with special needs, teenage and up. Participants must be accompanied by a companion. Activities include games, craft time, potlucks, bingo, and more! Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- Homeschool Activity Program - Thursday, March 28th at Riverside Park. This program is a structured exercise program with a monthly theme for children ages 6 to 13 who are home schooled. Pre-registration and pre-payment required. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- Family Bingo - Friday, April 5th at the Center Lake Park Cultural Center. Games start at 6:30 p.m. Cards are $4 each with a 5 card maximum. Space is limited and all players are admitted on a first come, first served basis. Concession stand will be open for snacks and beverages. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- Teen Pool Party - Friday, April 12th at the Riverside Pool. From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., middle school and high school age children can enjoy an evening of swimming. Concessions will be available for purchase. Buy tickets at Riverside Park. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- American Red Cross Babysitter Course – Saturday, April 27th at the Gymnasium and Aquatic Facility. Youth ages 11 to 15 will learn the knowledge and skills necessary to safely give care to children and infants. This is a one-day class and space is limited to 10 participants. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- Swimming Lessons - Swim lesson registration for April begins soon. Registration for City residents begin on Thursday, March 21st, at 6 p.m. Non-resident registration begins Saturday, March 23rd, at 9 a.m. All registrations take place at the Riverside Park pool. For more information, please contact Karl at 407-971-5584.
- Training Cudas (ages 6-13) - Registration is underway. Practices are Tuesdays and Thursdays from either 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. or 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Swimmers must be a past Barracuda swimmer, have passed a swim test, or have passed Level 5 swim lessons. Call 407-971-5584 for more information.
- Water Aerobics (all ages) - Make a splash with Water Aerobics! Deep Aqua Fit is a non-impact, deep water aerobics class that works a variety of muscle groups, as well as the cardiovascular system. The class is held in the deep end of the pool and utilizes buoyancy belts and hand buoys. All equipment is available to use free of charge during the class. Call 407-971-5582 for more information.
Teen Rock Wall night - Oviedo Gymnasium
Wayne Hoffman, mentalist & illusionist - Center Lake Park Cultural Center
Food Truck Thursday - Center Lake Park
free Family Festival - Center Lake Park
Seniors and Law Enforcement Together - Oviedo Mall COPS Center
Movie in the Park - Center Lake park
Marshmallow Drop - Oviedo Sports Complex
Relay for Life Charity Golf Outing - Twin Rivers Golf course
Oviedo Memorial 5k and Kids Fun run - Center Lake Park
Oviedo Farmers Market
The next Farmers Market takes place Saturday, April 6th, at the Lawton House grounds at 200 W. Broadway Street, Oviedo. Bring the family and browse a delightful selection of local produce, plants, jams, coffee, baked goods, and more!
BIG KAHUNA POOL (THROUGH MARCH 31st)
- 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. - Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
- 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Saturday
- 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. - Sunday
BIG KAHUNA POOL (APRIL 1ST THROUGH MAY 29TH)
- 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. - Monday through Friday
- 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. - Monday through Friday
- 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. - Saturday
- Noon to 6 p.m. - Sunday
Follow Us on Social Media
Be the first to know what is happening in Oviedo. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Nextdoor.
City of Oviedo
FUTURE city COUNCIL MEETING DATES
- Monday, March 25, 2019, at 6:00 p.m. (City Council Work Session)
- Monday, April 1, 2019, at 5:30 p.m. (CRA Governing Board)
- Monday, April 1, 2019, at 6:30 p.m. (City Council Meeting)
- Monday, April 15, 2019, at 6:30 p.m. (City Council Meeting)