Oviedo in the News
May 17, 2019
Memorial Day Garbage Schedule
Republic Services will be picking up garbage, recycling, and yard waste on Memorial Day (Monday, May 27th) for Oviedo residents whose regularly scheduled service day is Monday. There will be no service interruption due to the Memorial Day holiday.
HOLIDAY CITY OFFICE CLOSURE
City business offices will be closed on Monday, May 27th, in observance of the Memorial Day holiday. City business offices will re-open on Tuesday, May 28th, at 8:00 a.m.
Chlorine Flush of the Drinking Water System
Begins June 5, 2019, and ends on June 25, 2019
The City of Oviedo will be performing a maintenance chlorine flush of the City's drinking water distribution system. During this period, the City's drinking water distribution system will use a "free" chlorine residual in the water instead of the usual "chloramines" disinfectant.
Some residents may notice a slight chlorine taste and/or chlorine odor in the water. Fish owners and individuals on kidney dialysis need to take necessary precautions during the chlorine flush of the system.
If you have questions, please call the Public Works Department, Utilities Division, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. at 407-971-5692. For after hours, nights, and weekends, please call 407-971-5675.
We thank you for your cooperation during this chlorine flushing period.
LPA Board Member Application NOTICE - Deadline June 14, 2019
The City Clerk's office is currently accepting applications for a vacated position on the Local Planning Agency Board. The remainder of the term runs until December 31, 2020. All applications must be received by June 14, 2019, to be considered for the vacant position. The City Council will appoint a member to the Board at its July 1, 2019, City Council meeting.
Boards/Committees (Information and Application Process):
Any resident of the City of Oviedo who desires to serve on one of the City's Boards or Committees must complete an interest form. The interest form is available in the City Clerk’s Office located in City Hall at 400 Alexandria Boulevard or by contacting 407-971-5500 or email@example.com.
CALL TO ARTISTS
The City of Oviedo Public Arts Board is currently seeking design proposals from artists who are interested in transforming the wall facing the cantina at Center Lake Park into a work of art! Center Lake Park is located in Oviedo on the Park, at the heart of the City’s new downtown district. The City is requesting artists to present mural proposals that represent Oviedo’s postcard. The City’s Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) is funding the project. Interested artists may submit an original two-dimensional mural design, following the entry requirements and details as follows:
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND DETAILS
- The design theme is “Oviedo Postcard".
- The design should highlight elements that represent the City, including the City's name.
- There is no specific color palette.
- The wall is a rectangle shape and its dimensions are approximately 20' 5" long x 12’2” high. Please see template.
- The design may be slightly modified for ease of application.
- Each artist may only submit one design for consideration.
Artists are strongly encouraged to visit the proposed project site at Center Lake Park located at 299 Center Lake Lane, Oviedo, FL 32765. The wall is behind the cantina building.
The Public Arts Board will review the applications and submit the three top candidates to City Council for final approval.
The winning designer will receive a stipend of $1,000 for the purchase, use and painting of the artwork. The City will reserve a maximum of $2,000 to cover materials for the execution of the mural by the artist and a maximum of $1,000 to cover the lift rental and the mural identification plaque.
The project is open to all artists and graphic designers 18 years of age and older.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Friday, June 7, 2019 at 5 p.m.
The unveiling of the winning mural design is scheduled to occur at the July 4th Celebration. The winning artist will have four months to finish the project.
The winning artist will need to sign an agreement with the City granting the City the right to utilize and dispose of the selected artwork.
Summer Camp Registration
Summer Camp registration is underway. Registration will continue until the Thursday before each session or until each session is full. Camps offered are Adventure Camp, Club Riverside, and Volleyball Camp. At this time, there is limited availability for Adventure Camp and Basketball Camp. For more information, call 407-971-5565 (Gymnasium) or 407-971-5575 (Riverside).
New: Basketball Camp will be hosted at the Oviedo Gymnasium and Aquatic Facility by our community partner, Community Home Basketball. Visit CHB's website to register http://ow.ly/y98D30nSmhL or call 347-387-4823.
The Chief's Corner
End of School Year Safety
School ends May 28th, a Tuesday. Yes, that is the day after Memorial Day. Early release dates for school are May 23rd and 24th when school is only a partial day. The end of school year is a time when many parents start to think of the unsupervised time their children will be facing, time spent home alone, or new caregivers being introduced. It is also a time when additional officers are out there actively enforcing traffic laws, especially in school zones. Included below are just a few tips to keep children safe.
Slow down and be aware when driving, especially in neighborhoods where more kids who may run into roadways or walk out from between cars are out playing. Teach your children to make eye contact with a driver before they cross a roadway. Remind them to walk, not run, across the road and to stop, look, and listen before they cross. Talk to them about not jaywalking and crossing at intersections that have a marked crosswalk. Always watch for small children as you back up your car. Walk around your vehicle to make sure no kids or pets are behind it. Line up trustworthy childcare. This guarantees there is no lapse in supervision. Take time to do the research and make sure you are comfortable with the person or facility you choose. Plan activities. Too often, a bored child will find mischief. Summer camps, community educations classes, youth groups, or mission trips are all great ways to help your kids stay engaged. The City of Oviedo offers many programs over the summer. Check them out. Protect those children staying home alone. Lay down some rules and guidelines and let your children know there are consequences for not following the guidelines. You will want to make sure your child knows how to operate any safety measures that are in place at home and how to call for help if needed. Make sure they do not share garage door codes with friends. Inform friends of your rules. "For kids, summer is all about hanging with their friends. For you, this means supervising and being responsible for more kids than just your own. Make sure both the children that will be spending time at your house and their parents know your rules and expectations" (https://nightlock.com/school-safety/end-school-year-safety-tips/).
We know kids are going to make some bad decisions and sometimes hang out with others who may lead them the wrong way. There are little things we can do to help children make the right decisions so they don't wind up in the back of an ambulance or a police car. The best way to do this is to self-educate ourselves on steps we can take. Google "end of school safety tips" and find out some additional things you can do.
Submitted by Dale Coleman, Chief of Police
Bear sightings are common in Seminole County, and all Oviedo residents should be prepared!
AVOID ATTRACTING BEARS!
- Garbage, pet foods, barbecue grills, and anything that smells like food attracts bears.
- Don't leave your garbage can outside. Store trash and recyclables in bear-resistant containers or in a secure area until morning of pickup.
- Feed pets inside or bring in bowls after your pets are finished eating.
- Remove bird and wildlife feeders. Store pet or livestock feed indoors or in bear-resistant containers.
- Protect your garden, compost pile, or livestock with electric fencing.
- Clean meat smokers and grills with bleach or a degreasing agent.
- If bears are rewarded with food (garbage, pet food, etc.) at your house, they will come back.
IF YOU SEE A BEAR
- Remain calm, DO NOT run or play dead. Back away slowly and speak in a calm, assertive voice.
- Make sure that you are in a safe area and that the bear has an escape route, then make some noise to scare the bear away.
- Secure the attractants that are bringing the bear to your neighborhood.
Report a Bear Sighting to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
SENIOR ACTIVITIES (50+)
The Recreation and Parks Department and Northland Oviedo have joined together to offer Friday Afternoon Game Time. Every Friday, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., seniors are welcome to come hangout and socialize at the Northland Oviedo office, 1205 City View Center, Suite #1005, Oviedo, FL 32765. Dates are subject to change at any given time.
Note: These activities will be on hold from May 27th through August 6th in order to accommodate summer camp programs.
For more information on Senior Activities, email Jesse or call 407-971-5579.
Lunch N Learn - On Thursday, May 30th, at the Center Lake Park Cultural Center, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., seniors (ages 50+) will enjoy an afternoon of education about the volunteering service Meals on Wheels. Pre-payment is required at least one week in advance of the class. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
GYM & ATHLETICS
- Indoor Cycling (ages 16 and up) - Tuesday and Thursday evenings (6-7 p.m.). Daily rates apply. The first trial class is free! Packages of 20 visits or an unlimited annual option are available for purchase. Call 407-971-5565 for more information.
- Adult Basketball (ages 18 and up) - Registration for summer Adult Basketball is underway through June 7th or until full. The season starts June 16th. Call 407-971-5565 for more information.
- Family Bingo - Friday, May 31st at the Center Lake Park Cultural Center. Games start at 6:30 p.m. Cards are $4 each with a 5 card maximum. Space is limited and all players are admitted on a first come, first served basis. Concession stand will be open for snacks and beverages. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- American Red Cross Babysitter Course – Saturday, May 18th at the Gymnasium and Aquatic Facility. Youth ages 11 to 15 will learn the knowledge and skills necessary to safely give care to children and infants. This is a one-day class and space is limited to 10 participants. Call 407-971-5579 for more information.
- Swim Lessons - Registration for June Swim Lessons will open soon! All registrations take place at the Riverside Park pool. Oviedo Residents can begin registration on Thursday, May 23rd, at 6 p.m. and Non-Residents can register beginning at 9 a.m. on Saturday, May 25th. Call 407-971-5584 for more information.
- Summer Barracuda Program - The Oviedo Barracudas is an awesome summer swim team that helps kids grow big and strong and learn more about the life of a swimmer. The program is setup for weekly training sessions and meets every other weekend. Swim tests are required for new members of the team. The program runs all summer long. Registration is now open and training starts at the end of May! Call 407-971-5582 for more information.
- Junior Lifeguard Camp - The Junior Lifeguard Camp is a 4-day camp that prepares pre-teens for the lifeguard course. Participants must be 10-14 years old and must be able to swim the length of the pool. Participants will learn life-saving skills along with shadowing a City of Oviedo Lifeguard for a day. The June camp runs June 24th through June 27th from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. The July camp runs from July 22nd through July 25th from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.. Registration is now open for both camps. Call 407-971-5582 for more information.
- Splash Zone Birthday Parties - Splash Zone Birthday Party Packages are available now! Parties are on Friday nights, Saturday mornings, Saturday nights, and select Sunday mornings. Enjoy the Splash Zone with a semi-private party for your child! Birthday child must be turning at least 4 years of age to be eligible. Call 407-971-5582 for more information.
- Water Aerobics (all ages) - Make a splash with Water Aerobics! Deep Aqua Fit is a non-impact, deep water aerobics class that works a variety of muscle groups, as well as the cardiovascular system. The class is held in the deep end of the pool and utilizes buoyancy belts and hand buoys. All equipment is available to use free of charge during the class. Call 407-971-5582 for more information.
Midnight Basketball for middle & high school students - gymnasium
OVIEDO MEMORIAL 5K AND KIDS FUN RUN - CENTER LAKE PARK
Battle of the Food Trucks - Center Lake Park
Memorial Day Ceremony - Veterans Memorial at Oviedo on the Park
Food Truck Thursday - Center Lake Park
Bonkerz Comedy Night (ages 18+) - Center Lake Park Cultural Center
Dueling Pianos - Center Lake Park Cultural Center
Oviedo Farmers Market
The next Farmers Market takes place Saturday, June 1st, at the Lawton House grounds at 200 W. Broadway Street, Oviedo. Bring the family and browse a delightful selection of local produce, plants, jams, coffee, baked goods, and more!
Splash Zone (May 4th through May 28th)
- 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. - Saturday
- 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. - Sunday
BIG KAHUNA POOL (May 1st THROUGH MAY 28TH)
- 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. - Monday through Friday
- 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. - Monday through Friday
- 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. - Saturday
- 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. - Sunday
Follow Us on Social Media
Be the first to know what is happening in Oviedo. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Nextdoor.
City of Oviedo
FUTURE city COUNCIL MEETING DATES
- Monday, May 20, 2019, at 5:30 p.m. (CRA Governing Board Meeting)
- Monday, May 20, 2019, at 6:30 p.m. (City Council Meeting)
- Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. (Budget Work Session)
- Monday, June 3, 2019, at 6:30 p.m. (City Council Meeting)
- Monday, June 17, 2019, at 6:30 p.m. (City Council Meeting)
- Monday, June 24, 2019, at 6:00 p.m. (Tentative Budget Work Session)