A Progressive City on The Rise
Oviedo, infinite opportunities in a family oriented community!
Oviedo is a progressive city rapidly becoming one of the best places in Central Florida to enjoy life. Oviedo is located northeast of Orlando and is a growing city featuring historic pockets and new development. Oviedo on the Park, an urban, mixed-use development, stands prominently in the center of the City and anchors Oviedo's urban core. Oviedo Medical Center, and the Oviedo Mall, provide health, wellness, and entertainment opportunities on the City's west side. These areas are surrounded by some of the most sought-after neighborhoods in Central Florida carved out of the hammocks south of Lake Jesup.
Numerous organizations recognize the City for being one of the finest communities in our state and nation.
- "Top 100 City" - Relocate America, 2009,2010,2011
- "Top 10 Best Towns in America for Families" - Family Circle Magazine, 2011
- "Top 25 Suburbs to Live in Florida" - Coldwell Banker, 2012
- "Best Places to Raise Your Kids" - Business Week Magazine, 2013
- "Charitable Community in Central Florida" - Orlando Business Journal, 2013
- "Best Suburb to Raise a Family in the Orlando Area" - Niche.com 2020
- “50 Best Places to Live in America” - Money.com, 2020
A city of approximately 40,000 residents, Oviedo has a median age of 36 and household incomes that are some of the highest in Central Florida. Oviedo boasts an exceptional educational system with A-Rated schools and numerous recreational amenities just steps away from residents' homes. Downtown Orlando and the attractions area of Disney World, Sea World, and Universal Studios are easily accessible, as are Port Canaveral and the Atlantic Ocean beaches.
Oviedo’s more traditional business community includes retail, finance, medical, real estate and insurance sectors, which provide employment opportunities and the daily services and products utilized by the growing population in the Central Florida region.
The Benefits of Living & Doing Business in Oviedo
- Location, location, location! Oviedo's proximity along the SR 417 corridor easily links the City to the Orlando and Orlando-Sanford International Airports, the University of Central Florida, Orange County's new "Medical City" at Lake Nona, Seminole State College, and the Kennedy Space Center.
- The nearby epicenter of the Modeling Simulation and Training industry in the Central Florida Research Park and the University of Central of Florida's photonics cluster make Oviedo a prime location for technology-oriented companies and start-ups.
- Oviedo combines small-town flair with numerous recreational opportunities and unique special events such as Taste of Oviedo and Great Day in the Country. Central Florida’s natural environment and unique ecosystems make Oviedo special. They provide the backdrop and stage where we live, work, play and raise our families. Oviedo residents enjoy easy access to rivers, trails, and other natural recreation areas, providing many choices for outdoor activities.
- As part of a much lauded educational system, Oviedo offers A-Rated schools from kindergarten to post graduate studies all within five miles of the City. Educational attainment by Oviedo residents exceeds those of both the State of Florida and Seminole County, and boasts the region’s highest concentration of bachelor and advanced degree holders providing Oviedo businesses with an available, highly skilled workforce.
Oviedo’s Green Stewardship - A Sustainable Commitment to our Citizens
Although Oviedo is one of the remaining cities in Seminole County with growth potential and open spaces, the City recognizes its obligation to protect the environment. We are dedicated to good stewardship of these resources and to conserve and utilize its limited resources prudently.
Oviedo continues to promote the popular and award-winning H2Oviedo Water Conservation program, recognized through a variety of awards, as one of our success stories. Our efforts to reduce potable water consumption by encouraging the use of Florida Friendly plant species and low impact irrigation systems for new development and redevelopment of existing properties continues to be a popular method of landscaping changes. The program offers financial incentives for installing xeriscaping and other types of water saving landscaping.
Pro-Business City Government
Oviedo is committed to planned growth, creating job opportunities for residents and increasing our tax base. The City stands ready to provide relocating or expanding businesses the support they need to become successful.
Access to a Small Business Development Center through Seminole State College and network business incubators make Oviedo a city that can offer something for every industry to be successful.
Oviedo on the Park
The new mixed-use district anchors the southern end of the City's urban core. Restaurants, a gelateria, a juice bar, and various retail shops dot the roads leading to Center Lake Park.
The Center Lake amenities feature a splash pad, an overlook gazebo, pavilion, boardwalk, playground, green space, and a lake promenade.
The arrival of a new food hall and industrial factory chic cocktail bar is eagerly awaited for 2022.
High Marks for City Services & Quality of Life
Citizens gave high marks to the City on questions related to City services, quality of life and public trust in local government based on the results from the 2011 National Citizen Survey.
The survey identified Oviedo as a city with an excellent quality of life for its citizens. Those who responded said they plan on staying for the next five years and would recommend Oviedo as a place to live.
Residents also gave high marks to Oviedo as a community that is safe from crime which was reflected in the high ratings given to the City’s Police and Fire Departments.
Additional High Ratings
Other high ratings were given for Oviedo as being an excellent place to raise children, for providing a sense of community, overall image and reputation and accepting attitudes towards people of diverse backgrounds.
More impressive is that Oviedo’s survey results scored higher in most areas when compared to other cities of similar size throughout the nation!
This periodic sounding of resident opinion provides elected officials, staff and other stakeholders an opportunity to identify challenges and to plan for and evaluate improvements and amenities for long-term success.