A Progressive City on The Rise
Oviedo, infinite opportunities in a family oriented community!
Oviedo is a progressive city poised to become one of the best places in Central Florida to enjoy life. Oviedo is located northeast of Orlando and is a growing city featuring historic pockets as well as a new development, Oviedo on the Park; an urban, mixed use development in the center of the City, an ER facility, and in-town neighborhoods all carved out of the hammocks along Lake Jesup.
Oviedo has become a preferred location to raise a family and establish a business. The city was recognized as a Top 100 City to Live In by Relocate America, by Family Circle as a best town for families, and by Bloomberg Businessweek as one of the best places to raise kids 2013. This city of approximately 35,000 residents has a median age of 34 and household incomes that are some of the highest in Central Florida. It boasts an exceptional educational system with A-Rated schools and numerous recreational amenities just steps away from resident’s homes. Downtown Orlando and the attractions area of Disney World, Sea World and Universal Studios are easily accessible as are Port Canaveral and the Atlantic Ocean beaches.
Oviedo’s more traditional business community includes retail, finance, medical, real estate and insurance sectors, which provide employment opportunities and the daily services and products utilized by the growing population in the Central Florida region.
The Benefits of Living & Doing Business in Oviedo
- Location, location, location! Our proximity to Central Florida’s newest high-technology corridor, SeminoleWay, positions us for dynamic business growth and success. SeminoleWay, the high-tech corridor along SR 417, is the northern portion of Orange County’s Innovation Way. It links the Orlando and Orlando-Sanford International Airports, the University of Central Florida, Orange County’s new “Medical City” at Lake Nona, Seminole State College and the Kennedy Space Center.
- These key components contribute to the burgeoning simulation, digital media, medical sciences and photonic industry clusters growing in the Oviedo area. Capitalizing on this strategic position will enable Oviedo the ability to recruit technology oriented companies and start-ups.
- Quality of Life - Oviedo combines small town flair with numerous recreational opportunities and unique special events such as Taste of Oviedo and Great Day in the Country. Central Florida’s natural environment and unique ecosystems make Oviedo special. They provide the backdrop and stage where we live, work, play and raise our families. Oviedo residents enjoy easy access to rivers, trails and other natural recreation areas providing many choices for outdoor activities.
- Educational Offerings - As part of a much lauded educational system, Oviedo offers A-Rated schools from kindergarten to post graduate studies all within five miles of the City.
- Educational attainment by Oviedo residents exceeds those of both the State of Florida and Seminole County, and boasts the region’s highest concentration of bachelor and advanced degree holders providing Oviedo businesses with an available, highly skilled workforce.
Oviedo’s Green Stewardship - A Sustainable Commitment to our Citizens
Although Oviedo is one of the remaining cities in Seminole County with growth potential and open spaces, the City recognizes its obligation to protect the environment. We are dedicated to good stewardship of these resources and to conserve and utilize its limited resources prudently.
Oviedo continues to promote the popular and award-winning H2Oviedo Water Conservation program, recognized through a variety of awards, as one of our success stories. Our efforts to reduce potable water consumption by encouraging the use of Florida Friendly plant species and low impact irrigation systems for new development and redevelopment of existing properties continues to be a popular method of landscaping changes. The program offers financial incentives for installing xeriscaping and other types of water saving landscaping.
Pro-Business City Government
Oviedo is committed to planned growth, creating job opportunities for residents and increasing our tax base. The City stands ready to provide relocating or expanding businesses the support they need to become successful.
Access to a Small Business Development Center through Seminole State College and network business incubators make Oviedo a city that can offer something for every industry to be successful.
Oviedo on the Park
The new town center will become the crown jewel at the center of the city. The initial phase of construction will include infrastructure, and site work for the amphitheater park. A minimum of 250 residential dwelling units is also planned for the initial phase. The site plan for the Center Lake amenities calls for Interactive fountains/Splash pads, an overlook Gazebo and Pavilion, Boardwalk, fishing dock, kids playground area, Decorative Sculpture, Green Space for quiet contemplation and a Lake Promenade. Final phases will include additional residential units and a minimum of 85,000 square feet, up to 250,000 square feet of commercial, office, restaurant and entertainment uses. Substantial build-out is anticipated in five years.
High Marks for City Services & Quality of Life
Citizens gave high marks to the City on questions related to City services, quality of life and public trust in local government based on the results from the 2011 National Citizen Survey.
The survey identified Oviedo as a city with an excellent quality of life for its citizens. Those who responded said they plan on staying for the next five years and would recommend Oviedo as a place to live.
Residents also gave high marks to Oviedo as a community that is safe from crime which was reflected in the high ratings given to the City’s Police and Fire Departments.
Additional High Ratings
Other high ratings were given for Oviedo as being an excellent place to raise children, for providing a sense of community, overall image and reputation and accepting attitudes towards people of diverse backgrounds.
More impressive is that Oviedo’s survey results scored higher in most areas when compared to other cities of similar size throughout the nation!
This periodic sounding of resident opinion provides elected officials, staff and other stakeholders an opportunity to identify challenges and to plan for and evaluate improvements and amenities for long-term success. The city will undertake the National Citizen Survey again in fiscal year 2013 to 2014.